Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent

Rounding out the “big guys’” service

Dozens of passengers aboard a steamboat, with many others waiting to board.

Mahone at the wharf in Rivière-du-Loup, 1912.

© Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Paul-Émile Martin coll., m07086.

In 1909, local business people founded the company Trans Saint-Laurent Limitée to offer year-round transportation to the northern shore. Built in 1904, Mahone was in service from 1909 to 1915, while the company used S.S. Thor, built in 1881, just during the summer season from 1912 to 1915. The two small steamboats were useful for transporting outing-goers and goods, leaving residents on both sides of the St. Lawrence with many fond memories.

Click and share!